Olympiapark München

It's really hard to come up with travel posts when you can't really remember the last time you traveled for a reason other than work. But you know what's strange? In all of the blogging I've done about Eurotrip 2012, I've never done posts dedicated solely to the Olympic stadiums I visited. That's... pretty absurd, considering how many pictures I took at each of them. And considering this is me we're talking about. So I am going to rectify the situation! Travel Tuesday, I'm so happy to see you again!

First stop: Munich.

Munich was put on the trip itinerary mostly because Amanda wanted to live out some literary fantasies there, and we went without much of an agenda. But I told everyone that I was going to see the Dachau concentration camp and Munich's Olympic Park; they could come or not come, but that was what I would be doing, no questions asked. Luckily I traveled with some awesome friends, and while Jen split off to go to the BMW museum nearby, Amanda accompanied me to Olympic Stadium.

Entrance to the park is free, and it's such a cool area. It's a great example of Olympic legacy done right; there are restaurants and tons of green space and a pond, and you can pop into the aquatic center (where Mark Spitz won a whole bunch of gold medals, no big deal). You do have to pay a handful of euros to get into the stadium, but once you're inside... well, have you ever had free reign to run around in an empty stadium before? Because it's wonderful. And Munich's Olympic Stadium happens to have some of the coolest architecture I've ever seen in my life.


I'm pretty obsessed. I wish the day was less gray and drizzly, and I wish the field looked a little prettier when we were there, but beggars can't be choosers! It's just the absolute coolest place. If you go to Munich and don't visit Olympic Park, you really missed the boat!


Travel Tuesday


post signature

3 comments :

  1. That's so cool you've been there! That looks so awesome to have seen and so different from when it's filled with people! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that stadium ... how much do they charge to gain access to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog on the Travel Tuesday Linkup and I'm so glad I did! I just posted about our London Olympic experience on my blog :) So glad to see Munich keeping up with their facilities, sometimes they turn into a lost city.

    ReplyDelete