15 Songs For When You Need To Take On The World

Sorry kids, no Valentine's Day talk over here. People always say you either love Valentine's Day or you hate it, there's no in between... but actually? I care zero percent about it. So you get nothing pink and red from me today!

I do, however, want to talk about motivation. The last few weeks have been a little bit of a struggle for me, and sometimes all it takes is hearing the right song on the radio to get me back to feeling like I can handle anything. A good song can be a pat on the back and a kick in the butt, a "you can do it" and a "screw everyone else," fill you with contentment and righteous anger. I have needed ALL of that recently, and probably will for the foreseeable future. So I decided to compile some motivational anthems for when life becomes a slog.


1. Brave - Sara Bareilles
Because sometimes you just need a reminder!


2. Marchin On - OneRepublic
"For those days we felt like a mistake..." We've all been there, right? But life moves on.


3. So What - Pink
Even if you're not "so what"-ing a breakup, it's hard not to get amped to "so what? I'm still a rock star"!  That's a sentiment I am totally behind!


4. Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
"We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way." Truuuuuth!


5. Forget You - CeeLo Green
The clean version, 'cause this here's a family friendly blog! ;) (Eh, mostly.) Again, even if you're not going through a breakup, this song is essentially just flipping the bird. And sometimes, that's extremely necessary.


6. Proud - Heather Small
This was the original theme song for the Biggest Loser, and it's been a regular in my iPod rotation ever since. "What have you done today to make you feel proud? It's never too late to try" -- um, yes, sign me up. And here's the official London 2012 video for it, just for an added dose of goosebumps.


7. Stronger - Kelly Clarkson
"What doesn't kill you makes stronger, stand a little taller, doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone." I mean, again, no breakup over here, but HELL YEAH.


8. It's My Life - Bon Jovi
"This ain't a song for the brokenhearted" -- finally! ;) Bon Jovi is my forever favorite. Judge me for it, I don't even care. But tell me that "luck ain't even luck, you gotta make your own breaks" doesn't make sense. I dare you.


9. Beautiful Day - U2
There's something about this song that makes it actually feel like a beautiful day, even if things kind of suck.


10. Headstrong - Trapt
This is a song that makes you want to fight (in a good way). "Back off, I'll take you on. Headstrong to take on anyone."


11. Can't Hold Us - Pentatonix (Macklemore and Ryan Lewis cover)
The original is fine too, I'm just always partial to Pentatonix. ;) It's all about seizing your moment and fighting for it!


12. The Show Must Go On - Queen
"Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking, but my smile still stays on." Yo, that is like... next level. Also, this song was recorded by Freddie Mercury near the end of his battle with AIDS. With that context, if this song doesn't inspire you, you don't have a soul.


13. Right Now - Van Halen
"Right now is your tomorrow" should be tattooed on the forehead of all of us procrastinators, honestly. But it's not just for procrastinators; it's about taking advantage of the moment.


14. Dream On - Aerosmith
"You've got to lose to know how to win" and "dream until your dreams come true" just speak to me!


15. Bon Jovi - Keep the Faith
One more Bon Jovi song, just for good measure. ;) It's all about staying strong in hard times, but watching this video I'm mostly just distracted by Jon's hair. And sunglasses. And tank top. 2003, man, what a time to be alive.


Hope you're all having a great weekend. Kick some butt this week, friends. :)

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment