My Life in #SochiProblems

Well, Sochi 2014 is officially dunzo. Like, for real this time. The Paralympic flame has been extinguished and I've already the words "Road to Rio" uttered at the office. Wasting. no. time.

Considering all I've blogged about for the last, uh, month and a half is Sochi, I figured it's high time to update on the status of my life since returning to Colorado and starting my job. In a nutshell, it has been one giant series of #SochiProblems. Though, thankfully, I did not have to deal with dangerous face water. Mine were significantly more enjoyable than that, and involved the most hours of Olympics and Paralympics I've ever watched in my life.

I started my job in an all but empty office; a week and a half before the Games, almost everyone was either in Munich for team processing, already in Sochi, or about to leave for Sochi. And within a day or so of starting, I was handed this.

What is this rainbow explosion, you ask? That's my department's Games-time work schedule. My hours are blocked in in green. The top half of the paper (above the page break) indicates the early shift (3 a.m.-9 a.m.), and the bottom half the late shift (9 a.m.-3 p.m.). Look at all that green on the top half of the paper!

I was, essentially, jetlagged without ever leaving Colorado Springs. My life was half on Sochi time, half on mountain time. Working the early shift also meant being able to work from home, so since my only late shift was on a Saturday, I didn't set foot in the office for a full two weeks. Most bizarre two weeks of my life? Why yes, they were!

My schedule went something like this:

2:50 a.m.: Stagger out of bed, make myself instant coffee/chai tea latte and flip on the TV to NBCSN. Because what else am I going to do at 3 a.m. but watch Olympics coverage? Exactly.

3:00 a.m.: Settle onto the couch, browse for the morning's live stream/broadcast schedule, and start working. Open up several tabs so I can watch as many sports simultaneously as possible. (Olympics FOMO is real, and it's a struggle. Especially when you're trying to use Photoshop at the same time. It's amazing my computer didn't spontaneously combust.)

4:30 a.m.: Breakfast. Usually a smoothie or cereal, but one day I had a pizza bagel. No shame.

5:00 a.m.: On several days, this is when hockey started. Scream at the TV and hope the neighbors are either sound sleepers or doing the exact same thing I am.

6:00 a.m.: Vaguely notice that the sun is rising.

8:00 a.m.: I'm starving and it's waaayy too early for lunch, so, snack time!

9:00 a.m.: Finish working. Well, sometimes. Usually I had stuff to do until at least 10 a.m.

10:00 a.m.: Watch the big-ticket event of the day (since this is primetime in Sochi). Generally figure skating or hockey, and more screaming at the TV.

1:00 p.m.: When the previous event ends and I feel my stomach is capable of handling food after whatever I just witnessed... lunchtime.

3:00 p.m.: By now, NBCSN is re-airing coverage from the early morning hours that I've already seen, so I have a few hours to step away from the TV. Grocery shopping, showering, etc. All the stuff that functional members of society have to do.

6:00 p.m.: Dinner.

7:00 p.m.: Flip on primetime coverage on NBC. Hope to see stuff I haven't already. Usually end up disappointed in that regard and dozing off while they replay the stuff I started my day watching.

8:30 p.m.: Bedtime, before I totally pass out on the couch. Get ready to do it all again the next day!

On the days that I didn't have to work, the only thing that changed was that I'd sleep until 5 or 6 a.m. WHOA, I know, gettin' crazy there!

So basically, I spent almost 24/7 watching TV on the couch. Oops? Before my roommate got home after her month in Sochi, I tried really hard to smooth it out so it didn't look like I left a butt print in her couch. The jury's still out on whether or not this was successful. She hasn't said anything, though, so I think I'm good.

That's prior to my smoothing efforts. I mean, can you tell that's where I spent the vast majority of two weeks? It's practically a nest. I'm a little bit ashamed.

For some added bizarreness, my schedule was two days on, one day off. So in the entirety of the Games, I had a single day off that fell during a weekend. Between that, my bedtime of 8:30 and the fact I was working from home, I all but became a hermit. Most of my social interaction came from going grocery shopping. I DID see a friend on my birthday, though! (It was a Friday and I'd had the day off, but got up before the sun that morning to watch the U.S. men's hockey team lose to Canada.)


Then the Olympics ended, and there was a week and a half in-between period, when the Olympics were over and the Paralympics hadn't yet begun. People started returning to the office (and the Paralympic staff left), and all sorts of Para prep started happening as Olympics tasks wound down.

My hours for the Paralympics were far less weird, as there was less we had to do. But it still involved some serious weekend hours, and two weekdays of working 6 a.m.-3 p.m. Ever wonder what it's like going to work at 6 a.m.?

It really wasn't bad at all, though, after prying my face from my pillow at 5 a.m. I watched our live streaming while I worked, the days ended early and I got awesome parking spots both at work AND at home. (Yeah, I'm one of those people that gets excited about parking spots now. Is this what adulthood is?) And I only had to work in the dark for like, 10 minutes, tops. :P

Coincidentally, I happened to be working the early shift on two days that were very significant to Team USA: the day our athletes won eight medals (including that baller men's snowboarding sweep!), and the day the sled hockey team won gold. It was SO EXCITING to be the person that got to deal with such amazing results! But more results, however, did mean more work.

That's what my planner looked like on the sled hockey gold medal day. But hell, what an awesome day to be working. And look who decided to be a good roommate and tell me to stop working when I got up to get myself food!

That's Charlie. Aaaaand I'm pretty sure he just wanted his spot on the couch back.

And now it's all over. It's been OVER A MONTH since the Olympic Closing Ceremony (how?!?!?!?!?!?!), I have finally emerged from my apartment and been social with my friends and, though we may already be on the road, Rio isn't for another two and a half years. Now, instead of watching the Olympics and Paralympics, I get to turn my attention to things like starting the job hunt again...

Ugh, no, can we rewind a few weeks?

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment