Favorites Friday: Olympics Songs


I'm really feeling something karmic going on right now, guys. I can't really explain it. Maybe I'm making some of it up, since it IS the one-year mark to Sochi 2014 so news is pouring in and making me happy. But I'm positive that some of it isn't just in my head, and too perfect to be coincidental. There's something that I don't want to talk about and jinx, but I WILL talk about how Jim Craig and Kristi Yamaguchi were just named co-captains of Team Kelloggs for Sochi 2014. I don't even know what Team Kelloggs is, but I refuse to believe it's a coincidence that two of my biggest Olympics icons and favorite human beings were named co-captains. *sniffle* I just... need a moment.

But anyway. There's good energy right now.

For this week, I thought I'd list some of my favorite Olympics songs. :) These aren't "official" Olympics songs -- 'cause most of those are awful -- but the ones that trigger my own personal memories of the Games or are associated with them in some way.

NBC Olympic Style (Gangnam Style Parody) by Teddie Films - Because this is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in my life.



Bang the Drum by Bryan Adams and Nelly Furtado - Vancouver 2010 - For some reason I have really vivid memories of Vancouver's Closing Ceremony, and this song is one of them. Just don't pay attention to the lyrics. "Dream big/aim high/even believe you can fly"? Poetry, I tell you.



Strong and Free by the cast of the Vancouver 2010 Closing Ceremony - What can I say? I just have lots of Vancouver feelings, apparently. I love this song. There was some AMAZING mass movement choreography (with the snowboards!) in the ceremony while this song was being sung, which I'm sure contributes to my memory of it. I also happen to have gotten to know the choreographer while I was a London 2012 Ceremonies volunteer, so you know...



Spinnin' for 2012 by Dionne Bromfield and Tinchy Stryder - London 2012 - Where do I even begin with this song? I listened to it literally for hours on end during my shifts at L2012C because it's what the montage was set to, so this will forever be THE London 2012 song in my mind.



And I Will Kiss by Underworld - London 2012 - This is the song that played during the Industrial Revolution/Pandemonium sequence of the Opening Ceremony. It makes me want to get up and climb a mountain (which is probably why it's a killer song to listen to while on the Jacob's ladder at the gym). Just read the YouTube comments. Things like, "If this doesn't get you up in the morning you have died" and, "And by the time it was done, I had divided by zero twice." Flawless.



One Day Like This by Elbow - London 2012 - This was being played while the athletes walked into the closing ceremony, so not only does it remind me of that, but the lyrics are fabulous. "Throw those curtains wide/one day like this a year would see me right." LOVE IT.



Home by Phillip Phillips - London 2012 - Three words: Fierce Five montages. It still makes me a little bit weepy.


Dream on by Aerosmith - Okay, so it's really not an Olympics song at all. But Miracle is basically the real Olympics, right? And come on, tell me the 1980 hockey team isn't the first thing you think of when you hear this song. Because you'd totally be lying!



And last but not least...

Olympic Fanfare and Theme by John Williams - Los Angeles 1984 and forever - Because John freaking Williams.


Of course, I have an entire London 2012 playlist, so this is only the tip of my iceberg! :) Are there any good ones I'm forgetting?

No comments :

Post a Comment