I Dream Of Loose Teeth

Having dreams about losing my teeth
(The pictures you see in this post have absolutely nothing to do with what I'm about to write. But they kind of look like they do, and come with the added bonus of being taken while I was in London, so I'm gonna roll with it.)

Towards the end of my senior year of college, I had a really weird dream. In this dream, I was running desperately to catch a school bus, all the while spitting my teeth out into my cupped hands. That was it. Needless to say, when I woke up I was totally wigged out. I mean, the idea of my teeth falling out by the mouthful is gross and kind of horrifying and a big fat NO THANK YOU! But I got over it and really didn't give it much thought beyond going to my friends and saying, "Ew, guys, I had the WEIRDEST dream last night!"

But when I started regularly dreaming about my teeth being loose -- not spitting them out like in the first dream, but just being able to wiggle them with my tongue -- I realized this had to mean something. I don't usually remember my dreams, so having the same dream multiple times in a week was seriously bizarre. So I looked it up. And what did I find? Well, according to teethfallingoutdream.org (I am so not even kidding), dreaming about your teeth falling out indicates:
  • Anxiety.
  • A costly compromise or decision.
  • Radical change.
  • Starting a new project or phase in your life.

Gee, that hit the nail on the freaking head, no? I only had the school bus dream that one time, but I don't need to be a professional dream interpreter to figure out what that one meant. Running to catch a school bus? Anxiety about a new phase in my life? Pretty sure I was subconsciously freaking out about graduating college.

Those dreams went away as soon as I had a plan for after graduation; my USA Volleyball internship. But as my year has progressed in a pretty regular cycle of anxiety levels, dreams of loose teeth have become an odd sort of constant in my life. They returned at the end of the summer as my internship was about to end, and went away as soon as I got extended at USAV through the end of the year. But they returned again when the real end of my internship approached, and went away again after it ended. So now that the end of my job at the USOC is imminent, I knew it was only a matter of time before I was waking up in the morning and desperately checking my mouth to make sure I'm not missing a tooth. Because by now, I realize that I'm not truly worried about my life until these dreams show up.

Welp... they're back. I'm officially at that point (again. Sigh). At this point, I want to find a job not just to have a job, but to make the damn dreams stop! Hell, there's a reason I floss every single day, and it is NOT because I want my teeth to fall out!

Having dreams about losing my teeth

So, that's the state of my life right now. Maybe I should just drink some tea and watch mindless TV to de-stress. And apply for some more jobs. And floss. Definitely floss.

Does anyone else have weird recurring dreams? Or, better yet, does anyone have the same teeth-losing anxiety I do?!
post signature

2 comments :

  1. I hate these dreams...and get them too often when I'm stressed out, too. My teeth actually fall out in my dreams, though. They crumble into little pieces and make it impossible for me to talk. Bleeh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek that sounds kind of horrifying! But I'm glad I'm not alone in having these dreams at least, haha.

      Delete