Blogtober Day 8: Danielle Scott

Look at me, writing about all these volleyball players! I'm like 4234765934765% positive that it's no coincidence that all the volleyball players on this list are ones whose bios I've been assigned to update. I've spent hours researching Karch and Todd Rogers and...

When Danielle Scott made her first trip to the Olympics, I was about to start kindergarten. When Danielle Scott made her most recent trip to the Olympics, I was about to start my senior year of college. Let's just think about that for a second. (Oh. My. God.)

She's a five-time Olympian -- 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 -- and a two-time silver medalist. She's also a World Championship silver medalist, and a four-time World Grand Prix gold medalist (including three in a row, in 2010-12, and in 2001, when she was named Best Scorer). Danielle played college volleyball at Long Beach State and won the NCAA Division I championship in 1993, and then promptly joined the U.S. National Team in 1994. She also happened to graduate college as the all-time NCAA career hitting percentage leader.

*phony announcer voice* But wait, there's more! Danielle also played basketball at LBSU, earning All-Big West honors. In 1998 and 1999, she tried out with the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks and was named to the Portland Fire training camp in 2000. She was released just before the first preseason game, but still. Talk about ballin' it out.

Danielle is one of three women to have competed in volleyball in five consecutive Olympics. Count 'em: three. She's the first American volleyball player of either gender to do so, and she's one of 11 American athletes in any sport to do so.

And she made her fifth Olympic team after missing the entire 2010 season to have a baby.

...I kind of want to be her when I grow up.

No comments :

Post a Comment